Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Home...Your Home


The Engine of Life is Linkage”, at a glance this means nothing but simple words held together; yet whatever it means is abysmal.  Yes, so deep indeed that as mentioned; water and air is inseparable.  The huge expanse of the coverage of the Earth reaches beyond imagination yet now heavily threatened and dismayed by the players we call ‘humanity’. 

Humanity embraces nature and its environment.  Nomadic way of life now ceases to exist as each learn the means of living by utilizing what we call natural resources; it’s true humanity is a pre-requisite of survival; and as it grows the people become learned. 

Education in the early years may not seem to be what education is now; year-by-year the system goes better; more inventions and innovations are formulated. Infrastructures get better, technology is more advance, and the means of living seems to be a lot easier.  Along with this is the leading breakthrough in the Agricultural System.  


Vast lands are occupied by growing crops primarily aimed for feeding the domesticated animals; while the need to domesticate these animals are increasing parallel to the increasing population.  So the struggle to growing more and more crops; and raising more and more animals also increases; sad but true, Chemical Revolution was brought to the system.  


While it’s true that the outcome is satisfactory as to the main purpose of feeding the humanity, the side effect remained unnoticed, if not neglected.  I think this is because some people wanted to conquer the world, and how can they conquer the world on an empty stomach?  Thus, they need to do the acts of proving that they have developed; giving the impression that they can surpass the challenge brought about by the increasing humanity; the challenge to feeding every mouth in exchange of greater income.  More people become hungry for position, power and money; highly pushing them to advance some more out of greed.

Greed is evil, greed is ruthless.  All that is empowered by this evil forgets the human’s outlook to balance.  In the good old days, an animal feeds its hunger from a tree; consumes its fruits and flowers yet they blossom again after sometime.  I’m scared because in the next few years they will never happen anymore.  Every year the demand for logs is increasing as there are more development sites, yet the trees had lessened its number overtime.  I am just scared; my children’s children may never have any chance to see what a bird actually is; how a caterpillar transforms into a lovely butterfly.  I can only keep them in my memory hoping that one day, at the lost of any sight of trees and birds I can still clearly describe to them how lovely they were and hopefully they can appreciate the pictures of my imagination.  I’m scared.

After watching the film "HOME", I started spreading the news to my family, and friends.  I even asked my hubby to call on his friends and let them watch as well.  I couldn’t stop what they call ‘DEVELOPMENT’ alone; the truth is it’s a ‘Destructive Development’.  According to what I’ve read in the internet:  “The planet’s natural ecosystem and regenerating bio-capacity are being severely degraded and, as a result, this compromises the ability of the planets to sustain life.”  It scares me even more because at an instant I remembered the Rapa Nui’s Village who enjoyed the bountiful gift of nature and natural resources and yet they abused the gifts they had until nothing was left, not even their lives.  It sends me goose bumps and realization that no matter how huge the planet is, there will come a time of extinction to every living thing because of imbalance.  


Forests, fisheries, oceans, rangelands, fresh water systems and the rest of the ecosystems are all in its critical condition now.  Yes, it’s true and I can sense that water, land and air are getting increasingly polluted.  Many lost their lives on soil erosion, some lost lives on hunger and thirst.  

Melting glaciers are not our only concern in a warming world.
The global warming underway is highly threatening the balance of the system as it continues to melt the freshwaters from ice into the seas.  The animals and other species that are dying they are affected by what we call ‘development’.

I hope this film will touch more hearts as it touches me; and more people will spread the word as I do because I can’t wait for the day to come without doing a thing.  2015 is already marked in my calendar, there’s just so very little time left and I think I will be more than ready to end my days but what keeps on taunting me is that I couldn’t stand the thought of my children who’d barely be about 9 years old and 7 years old, they deserve to have a fair share of experiencing the gifts of God.  May He continues to protect us all.

I hope to extend my gratitude to Atty. Osorio for giving us the chance to watch the film; for the efforts of caring the environment; for making me think that it would be nice to be an Environmental Lawyer; it’s an all worth eye-opener!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggers.com

Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers