Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Feast of Santo Niño de Cebu

The Holidays are over.  A New Year is here.  Today marks the first day of Novena for the Santo Niño de Cebu.

I was hoping I get the chance to go there but I have to wait until tomorrow if time permits.  Nonetheless, I have really plotted it already among my schedules for Friday.  Visiting the Basilica, is always something I consider as a wonderful experience even as a child.  My mom would use to tag me along with her despite the squeezing crowd of devotees.  It wasn't really very clear to me back then but as we do our regular Friday Novenas at home, I begun to understand how the Holy Child influences the lives of the Cebuanos.

In my early years, I thought SINULOG is merely a celebration best displayed by street dancing while the participants come in colorful costumes if not at all sticking out some soiled faces which is intentionally done.  I am one of the spectators of the magnificent street dancing, the colorful floats and gigantic puppets.

The Sinulog celebration lasts for nine days, culminating on the final day with the Sinulog Grand Parade.  The streets are normally crowded by people from all walks of life.  It's on the day before the parade, a Fluvial Procession is held at dawn with the Statue of the Holy Child carried on a pump boat from Mandaue City to Cebu City.  It ends at the Basilica where a re-enactment of Christianity is performed.  On the other hand, more devotees would come in the afternoon to enjoin a more solemn procession along the major streets of the city, which normally lasts for hours due to a massive crowd.

The previous year had brought so much blessings to me and my family.  There's no single happening that I regretted last year.  This year, setting a bigger chunk of my personal wish aside.  I humbly asked to the Holy Child that may He continue to protect every being from harm.   Keep us all safe always.  Keep the relationship of every family closer.  And deliver us all from evil. Amen!

Pit Senyor!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bloggers.com

Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers